meridian adj : of or happening at noon; "meridian hour"
1 a town in eastern Mississippi
2 an imaginary great circle on the surface of the earth passing through the north and south poles at right angles to the equator; "all points on the same meridian have the same longitude" [syn: longitude, line of longitude]
- An imaginary great circle on the Earth's surface, passing through the geographic poles.
- Either half of such a great circle, all points of which have the same longitude.
- A great circle passing through the poles of the celestial sphere and the zenith for a particular observer.
- A similar line on any general surface of revolution.
- Any of the longitudinal pathways on the body along which the acupuncture points are distributed.
- The highest point or state of consciousness and enlightenment achievable by a human.
Meridian may refer to:
- Meridian (astronomy), imaginary circle perpendicular to the celestial equator and horizon
- Meridian (geography), imaginary line on the Earth's surface from the North Pole to the South Pole
- Prime Meridian, the meridian at which longitude is defined to be 0° on the Earth's surface.
- Principal meridian, the meridian on which a region is surveyed, under the Dominion Land Survey in Canada or the Public Land Survey System in the United States
United States geography
- Meridian, California
- Meridian, Colorado
- Meridian, Florida
- Meridian, Idaho
- Meridian, Mississippi
- Meridian, New York
- Meridian, Oklahoma
- Meridian, Pennsylvania
- Meridian, Seattle, Washington
- Meridian, Texas
- Meridian Township, Clinton County, Illinois
- Meridian Charter Township, Michigan
Arts and entertainment* Meridian (comics), comic book series published by CrossGen in the early 2000s
- Meridian (W.I.T.C.H.), a fictional realm in the Italian comic book series, W.I.T.C.H.
- Meridian: Kiss of the Beast, 1990 movie
- Meridian 59, online game
- Meridian (Nosgoth), the capitol of Nosgoth in Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain
- Meridian (novel), novel by Alice Walker
- Rue Meridian, character from The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara series and High Druid of Shannara series by Terry Brooks
- Meridian Green, California-based folk musician
- Meridian Records, a record label
- "Meridian" (DS9 episode), third season episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
- "Meridian" (Stargate SG-1), episode of the science fiction television series Stargate SG-1
- Meridian Broadcasting, ITV station for the south and south-east of England
- Channel (Chinese medicine), or "Meridian"
- Meridian KSI, a commercial Learning Management System product
- Meridian (perimetry, visual field), polar coordinate system for the visual field
- Meridian SL-1, the first practical all-digital telephone switch aimed at the smaller PBX market
- One Meridian Plaza fire, an office building that burned down in Philadelphia, PA in 1991
- Nortel Meridian, a popular PBX by Nortel Networks
- Meridian Mall (disambiguation page)
meridian in Bulgarian: Меридиан
meridian in German: Meridian
meridian in French: Méridien (homonymie)
meridian in Indonesian: Meridian
meridian in Italian: Meridiano
meridian in Dutch: Meridiaan
meridian in Portuguese: Meridiano (desambiguação)
meridian in Romanian: Meridian (dezambiguizare)
meridian in Slovak: Meridián
meridian in Swedish: Meridian (olika betydelser)
meridian in Turkish: Meridyen
meridian in Volapük: Meridian
Antarctic Zone, Arctic Circle, Arctic Zone, Frigid Zones, Lambert conformal projection, Mercator projection, Miller projection, Torrid Zone, Tropic of Cancer, Tropic of Capricorn, Variable Zones, acmatic, acme, aeronautical chart, apex, aphelion, apical, apogee, astronomical chart, astronomical longitude, atlas, autumnal equinox, azimuthal equidistant projection, azimuthal projection, brow, cap, capital, cartographer, cartography, celestial chart, celestial equator, celestial globe, celestial longitude, celestial meridian, chart, chief, chorographer, chorography, circle, climate, climatic chart, climax, clime, cloud nine, colures, conic projection, consummate, contour line, contour map, crest, crown, culmen, culmination, cylindrical projection, ecliptic, edge, eight bells, equator, equinoctial, equinoctial circle, equinoctial colure, equinox, extreme limit, extremity, galactic longitude, general reference map, geocentric longitude, geodetic longitude, globe, gnomonic projection, graphic scale, great circle, grid line, hachure, head, headmost, heaven, heavens, height, heliocentric longitude, heliographic chart, high noon, highest, highest pitch, highest point, horse latitudes, hydrographic chart, index, isoline, latitude, layer tint, legend, limit, longitude, longitude in arc, map, map maker, map projection, mapper, maximal, maximum, meridiem, meridional, midday, mountaintop, ne plus ultra, no place higher, noon, noonday, nooning, noonish, noonlight, noonlit, noontide, noontime, orbit, overmost, parallel, paramount, peak, perigee, perihelion, period, photogrammetrist, photogrammetry, photomap, phototopography, physical map, pinnacle, pitch, point, pole, political map, polyconic projection, preeminent, prime meridian, projection, relief map, representative fraction, ridge, road map, roaring forties, scale, seventh heaven, sinusoidal projection, sky, small circle, solstitial colure, special map, spire, subtropics, summit, summital, supreme, terrain map, terrestrial globe, the line, thematic map, tip, tip-top, top, topmost, topographer, topographic chart, topography, trajectory, transportation map, tropic, tropics, ultimate, upmost, upper extremity, uppermost, utmost, vernal equinox, vertex, vertical, very top, weather chart, weather map, zenith, zenithal, zodiac, zone